A few weeks ago I attended the newly revamped Sneinton Urban Food Market and FINALLY got to meet (and sample) some of the lovely sauces from The Sauce Shop!
The Sauce Shop is a business run by the 'food passionate' Pam and James who make natural sauces from their home in Nottingham. A true local food business if I ever saw one! Pam is working hard to rejuvenate the Urban Food market scene in Nottingham and as The Phat Doughnut Co were also there, how could I resist attending?!
I managed to bag a couple of jars of their Salted Caramel and Peanut Butter Sauce and I have to say - I'm smitten. I've already used half a jar of the Salted Caramel Sauce and it won't be long before I need to stock up again...
I decided to bake something I haven't baked before and my tummy was asking for Gingerbread Loaf. Look, I know it's unseasonal but the stomach wants what the stomach wants...
It was incredibly easy to bake and I topped the warm loaf with a generous thick drizzle of sauce which melted into all the baked crevices on the top of the loaf. Hmm, delicious. The resulting loaf was very sweet but the salted caramel sauce brought in a nice caramelised flavour which complimented the loaf perfectly.
Now all I need to do is persuade Pam and James to expand their sauces range to include a lemon curd style sauce...
Classic Gingerbread Loaf
- 200g Golden Caster Sugar
- 250ml Full fat milk
- 180g Unsalted butter
- 4tbsp Treacle
- 1tbsp Ground Ginger
- 2tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1tsp Bicarbonate Soda
- 250g Plain flour (I used Tesco Finest sponge flour)
- 1tbsp The Sauce Shop Salted Caramel Sauce
- Preheat your oven to 170c (160c for a fan oven). Grease and line your loaf tin.
- Add sugar, butter, treacle and milk to a saucepan and gradually bring to the boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Sieve together dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre, pour contents of saucepan into the dry ingredients and mix well until everything is incorporated. I used a wooden spoon for this part to avoid overmixing!
- Pour mix into lined tin and bake for approx 45mins-1hr or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and drizzle caramel sauce whilst the loaf is still warm. Allow to melt into the credvices of your loaf and cool completely.
- Remove from tin and cut into generous slices. Store in an airtight tin for up to 1 week.