I scoured Pinterest for a recipe that I could whip up ultra quick and immediately fell into one of my favourite blogs Averie Cooks. This woman is a sweet toothed blogger after my own heart. She makes the most amazing looking treats and if in doubt I always look to her first when I'm in need of inspiration.
If you like gooey, melty, peanut buttery style cookies then you'll LOVE these cookie bars. I used American smooth style PB but the cookies were pretty sweet so when I make them again I'm either going to try and make my own PB, or use organic style which tends to have a more natural, less sweet peanut flavour.
I am republishing the original recipe below as I have changed the weights and measures for a UK audience, but I've linked back to Averie's original recipe so you can check out all the other fab stuff she has on oh so pretty blog!
As a side note, I also melted my PB in the microwave for about 30secs before drizzling over the top of the cooled cookie and whilst this isn't imperative, it is by all means advised.
Peanut butter cookie bars - original recipe source Averie Cooks
- 115g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 150g light brown sugar
- 55g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 125g peanut butter (crunchy or smooth, I used smooth)
- 150g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- 100g chocolate chips or chunks, more or less to preference
- 30g peanut butter (melted for drizzling)
- Preheat oven to 350F/180c/170c with fan.
- Line an 8" square tin with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter for about 1 minute until completely melted. Allow the butter to cool momentarily so you don't scramble the egg. Add the egg, sugars, vanilla, and stir vigorously to combine. Stir in the peanut butter. Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, optional salt and stir until just incorporated. Stir in chocolate.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing it lightly with a spatula. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until center is just set and golden. Bars will firm up more in pan as they cool.
- Microwave peanut butter until nice and runny and drizzle over bars whilst still in the tin. I used a spoon to drizzle but you could also pop the contents into a piping bag and drizzle that way.
- Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Store extra bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Bars may be kept gluten-free by replacing the flour with your favorite gluten-free flour.