I used a slightly different brownie recipe for this batch as I wanted a more cakey brownie this time and it worked really well. If you want a rich and decadent sweet treat then stick with my original recipe but if you only have cocoa in the house and want an easy bake with the kids - then the recipe below is much more forgiving.
I used the mini versions of the eggs this time and kept them in the refrigerator before cutting to try and avoid too much fondant spillage. The smaller egg versions have 'seams' on them which makes them much easier to cut too.
I also found the caramel egg Halloween versions which are the red caramel eggs you see in the photos. Both stand up well to baking and the fondant inside seem to condense from being in the heat. As before, I cooked the brownies for 10mins without the eggs and only added them a bit later on to stop them melting completely.
Oh and I found that shop that sells candy corn so of course, everything I eat now until Halloween will be sprinkled with it.
Scream egg brownies - original recipe here
- 115g unsalted butter, melted
- 60g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 60g plain flour
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs (room temp)
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f. Line an 8" tin with baking parchment.
- Melt butter (I used the microwave and it took approx 1min). Combine melted butter and cocoa and stir until cocoa is dissolved.
- Add sugar and vanilla and mix well.
- Add eggs one at a time and stir until well combined.
- Stir in flour and salt until the flour is combined and then pour into tin.
- Bake for approx 25mins. Test for doneness using a toothpick.
- Let cool completely before cutting, store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. If they last that long...