This recipe is very forgiving and you could use it as a great 'base' brownie recipe. There are a few tips I discovered whilst making these and they are:
- Creme eggs are much easier to work with when they're cold - I froze mine for about an hour
- Smaller size creme eggs are a lot easier to cut in half
I include my brownie recipe but most people already have a 'go to' brownie recipe so just use whatever is easiest for you.
|The larger creme eggs do NOT cut well!|
This recipe would be great to make for Easter, I wonder how mini eggs would work in brownies??
- 110g cup unsalted butter
- 220g dark chocolate
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g self raising flour (you can use plain flour but I like my brownies to puff up a little)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Creme eggs - I used approx 2 large creme eggs and 3 small ones (cut in half)
- Preheat oven to 160c. Line 9" square baking tin with greaseproof paper. Set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a medium bowl in the microwave until melted (about 2mins) Remove from microwave and stir in sugar. At this point I reheat my sugary brownie mix for a further 45secs/1min to melt the sugar as this gives you a crackly top on your brownie.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, stirring until smooth after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Gently fold in the flour and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake for 10mins. Then remove from oven and place your creme egg halves in the brownie, push them in gently or they will flatten your brownie. Bake for a further 20mins.
- Test by skewering your brownie with a toothpick - a few crumbs should stick to the toothpick to ensure you have a deep fudgy brownie.
- Leave to cool completely before even attempting to cut your brownie. I refrigerate mine for about 1hr before cutting as this gives you a nice cut edge.
And if you LOVE Creme Eggs as much as me then please visit these Sarah at Taming Twins who made this Creme Egg Cheesecake, Kerry from Kerry Cooks made this insane Creme Egg Shortbread, Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes made Creme Egg Pancakes and Helen from Fuss Free Flavours created a Creme Egg Shake!