I started making these cupcakes last year for a lady who has an allergy to eggs. Her family had always resorted to buying her vegan cakes for special occasions but hadn't been impressed by them so were looking for an alternative.
I stumbled across a recipe online, tweaked it and well, the lady is now one of my regular customers! When she first tried this cake she loved it and commented that she had never had a 'proper' cake when she was a child due to her allergies so I was so happy to hear she loved it!
Here is the finished cupcake:
Here is the inside:
And finally, here is the recipe:
Eggless chocolate cake - Makes 40 cupcakes or a 2 layer 8" inch cake
- 4 1/2 cups sifted plain flour
- 3 cups white/caster sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups cold water
- 3 teaspoons baking soda/bicarbonate of soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chocolate extract (optional but makes it nice and chocolatey)
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, soda and salt. Add sugar and mix together.
3. Add oil, water and vanilla and mix until combined.
4. Pour into prepared cake pans or fill 2/3 full if making cupcakes. Bake for up to 30-45 mins as a cake or 22 minutes for cupcakes - test with toothpick halfway through baking as no crumbs should stick to toothpick.
5. Leave to cool in wrappers/tin before removing to a cooling rack.
6. Cupcakes can be decorated straight away and kept for up to 3 days. Cakes keep for up to 5 days once decorated or wrapped in clingfilm.