I LOVE a giant cookie and this recipe is no exception to that rule! I use an 8" square tin to make my cookie bars giving you 16 portions of double thick gooey cookies to scoff alone - or share if you're in the mood I guess...
I made these cookies using the pre-made carnation caramel which worked perfectly. You can also make your own homemade caramel and I think a salted caramel version would be utterly delicious as this version is super sweet so enjoy at your peril!
- 250g butter, softened
- 200g light brown soft sugar
- 250g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 450g self-raising flour
- 397g Carnation caramel (I used approx 1/2 a tin for this recipe)
- 1 tsp salt
- 400g chocolate chips or any mix in your prefer - nuts, drief fruit etc
2. Cream butter and sugars till pale and fluffy, once creamed, combine in the egg and vanilla.
3. Sift in the flour and salt, then the chocolate chips or other 'mix in' of your choice.
4. Refridgerate your dough for approx 30mins. Once chilled, remove from fridge and split into two halves. Press one batch into your baking tin using your hands before spreading over your caramel and placing the remaining dough over the top.
5. Place in oven and bake for approx 30-40mins - the top of your cookie should be just starting to brown around the edges.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet. Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling and slice into 16 large portions.
7. Store in an airtight tin for up to 5 days.