My friend Maidie kindly let me pick some strawberries from her community garden and after I scoffed a 'decent' amount, I still had some leftover so I thought I'd try my hand at making some strawberry puree as I've been trying to perfect my strawberry buttercream recipe.
It's sooo easy to make your own puree and you can keep it in the fridge for up to 7 days. Try adding it to milk to make milkshakes, cake batter, buttercream or just use it as a topping for your ice cream!
I used fresh strawberries to make my puree but you can also use frozen and just omit the water.
- Approx 1 cup/250g strawberries
- 2 tablespoons of water (if using fresh strawberries omit if using frozen)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Dash of lemon juice (optional)
- Chop fresh strawberries into pieces.
- Place in large pan and add sugar, lemon juice and water if needed.
- Heat until bubbling and continue to cook for approx 5mins. If you cook for longer keep the heat low and you'll make a more concentrated compote style puree.
- Remove from heat and place contents of pan into a blender and blend until you reach desired consistency. NOTE: I wanted the puree to be smooth so after blending I pushed the contents of the blender through a sieve before decanting into a jar.
- Store in a refrigerator for up to 7 days.